Waiheke Island Double Headland Walk
- Duration: 5 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Waiheke Island, Auckland
- Product code: DoubleHeadland
Experience the twin headlands of Matiatia and Church Bay on Waiheke Island, walking in a small group with an expert local guide. Breathtaking scenery, birds, native plants, a sculpture park - there's so much to see!
We begin by greeting you as soon as you step off the ferry. Straight away you’ll be drawn in by the gorgeous scenery and beautiful coastal environment.
This walk consists of two parts, with lunch in between. Sometimes we do the northern route first, and sometimes the southern. Why is that? Well, we often need to work around the tides!
Please book well in advance as this is one of our most popular walks and gets booked up!
- Northern route (approx 2 hours): We’ll walk around the Matiatia headland and past Owhanake Bay, enjoying beautiful views of the Hauraki Gulf Islands, Great Barrier Island and Coromandel Peninsula.
- You’ll spot sea birds, native plants and, if you’re lucky, orcas or dolphins.
- Learn about the history and ecology of the Hauraki Gulf and Waiheke Island, its conservation projects and island life.
- We’ll stop for lunch at Oneroa Village. You can eat in one of the local cafes or have a picnic on the beach with food you’ve purchased or brought with you.
- Southern route (approx 2 hours): We’ll walk through Pio Rehutai Reserve and around the Church Bay headland through a sculpture park and a stunning bush reserve. We’ll pass hidden coves and amazing homes, as we enjoy view of the city and sea.
- If you're in Auckland, catch the 9am Fullers Ferry from downtown (the trip to Waiheke Island takes approximately 35 minutes).
- This walk starts at 9:45am from the Ferry Terminal at Matiatia on Waiheke Island. When leaving the ferry, look for your guide who will be standing on your left just before you enter the Ferry Terminal. Your guide will be holding a Terra & Tide sign.
- This walk finishes at 3:00pm at the Ferry Terminal at Matiatia on Waiheke Island.
- Maximum number of walkers: 8 plus guide
- Recommended for ages 8+.
- Fantastic scenic walk and expert guiding
- Walking maps
- Return transfers to the ferry (or your island accommodation)
What to bring:
- Comfortable shoes
- Sun glasses, hat, sunscreen
- Raincoat (depending on forecast)
About Terra & Tide
Terra & Tide is committed to managing and developing its business in a sustainable manner and to minimising the environmental impact of its activities. It has achieved Qualmark Sustainable Business certification (Silver level).